Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Healthy 24-year-old Belgian healthy woman is scheduled to die by euthanasia.

Alex Schadenberg
International Chair - Euthanasia Prevention Coalition

The Belgian euthanasia insanity continues with the case of a 24-year-old healthy woman "Laura" who is scheduled to die by euthanasia this summer for psychological reasons, now the Inquisitr has provided more information on this horrific story. (Original article). Laura is not her real name.


"Laura"
The June 19 DeMorgen article by Simone Maas explains (google translated):
She has good friends, loves good coffee and theater. And she has felt that she wanted to die ever since childhood. Laura (24): "Life, that's not for me." This summer, euthanasia will end her life full of inner conflict, depression and self-destruction. 
I met the West Flemish Laura at the presentation of the book 'Libera me' euthanasia for psychological reasons. Writer Lieve Thienpont is one of the psychiatrists who gave Laura a positive opinion for euthanasia.
Today the Inquisitr published an interview with Laura that explains the story in an even more shocking manner. According to the Inquisitr, Laura experiences suicidal thoughts, otherwise known as suicidal ideation.
Laura, a 24-year-old woman is planning on dying this summer via euthanasia. Unlike many cases before, Laura is not sick with cancer or dying. She simply has had suicidal thoughts since childhood and claims, “Life, that’s not for me.”
Laura claims that she has been living with suicidal ideation since kindergarten. The medical news defines suicidal ideation as:
Suicidal thoughts, also known as suicidal ideation are thoughts about how to kill oneself, which can range from a detailed plan to a fleeting consideration and does not include the final act of killing oneself. The majority of people who experience suicidal ideation do not carry it through.
If you are experiencing suicidal thoughts contact Your Life Counts.

According to the Medical news suicidal ideation can be triggered by other suicides.

Researchers reported in CMAJ (Canadian Medical Association Journal) that suicide can be contagious.

Dr. Ian Colman, from the Department of Epidemiology and Community Medicine and Canada Research Chair in Mental Health Epidemiology, explained that one person's suicide can have an impact on another's suicidal thoughts or behavior, especially among teenagers. 
He adds that the teenagers do not necessarily have to be associated with the person who died by suicide to start having suicidal thoughts or attempting to end his/her own life.
It appears that Laura's suicidal ideation may be linked to the euthanasia death of Sarah. The Inquisitr stated:
Due to these issues, she began seeking treatment in a psychiatric institution over the last three years. Laura says she first began considering euthanasia when she became friends with another woman named Sarah, who also ended her life about a year and a half ago. Now, Laura is also a candidate for euthanasia for psychological reasons, which is when a patient is in mental pain and wants to die.
Euthanasia for psychological reasons is done when a psychiatrist agrees that the psychological pain that a person is experiencing cannot be relieved in a way that the individual finds acceptable.

Godelieva De Troyer
That means, Laura may be treatable, but she has decided to only accept death as a "treatment."

Similar to the euthanasia deaths of Godelieva De Troyer (64), a healthy Belgian woman who was living with depression or Ann G (44) who asked for euthanasia for psychological pain after being sexually exploited by her psychiatrist, Laura has been approved for lethal injection, even though she is physically healthy and only 24-years-old.

In March, the chairman of the federal euthanasia commission in Belgium admitted that 50 to 60 euthanasia deaths are done on psychiatric patients each year.

Similar cases are occurring in the Netherlands, where a report indicated there were 42 euthanasia deaths for psychiatric reasons and 97 euthanasia deaths for people with dementia in 2013.

14 comments:

Paul Rose said...

As time goes by the killing of people for whatever reason will increase as it becomes more and more common and more acceptable. Eventually the Government will supersede the medical fraternity and itself decide who is no longer of use to the state. This happened not so long ago in a Germany under Hitler. Euthanasia must be stopped now before it gets out of our control.

Anonymous said...

I read a note about Laura, a 24 years old, healthy woman, who will be killed by euthanasia this summer... I cant belive such a beautiful and healthy woman is going to die that way.... what can we do to avoid this death...???? How can I contact Laura to try to convince her to live??? this case touch me a lot because Im 24 years old, just like her.... But I love to live!!! Juan

Unknown said...

Please pray for their immortal souls.

jollyajith said...

mental health medicine is so much advanced in this 21st century and this is the only remedy for this young woman even though she has right.These laws and policies should revise and stop it.1 am really saddened.

Christine said...

As a licensed Professional in the Field of Mental Health, I find this deplorable and unethical. As a Catholic I find it unconscionable. This individual MUST be treated in the conventional manner, with medication and psychotherapy BEFORE making such a decision. She deserves and has a RIGHT to make an informed decision with ALL her faculties intact---minimal depression symptoms. In the USA she would be considered incompetent to make such a decision and it only makes this situation more grievous. Life is sooooooooo precious, to waste such a life is beyond sad, it is despicable and evil. THIS HAS TO STOP........THESE INDIVIDUALS ARE BEING ABUSED BY A SYSTEM THAT IS UNETHICAL AND DISRESPECTFUL, WE MUST PRAY FOR HER NOW........AMEN

Unknown said...

This really saddens me. I have serious health issues and had some very serious
medical problems since last Fall. It was very, very discouraging to hear even
some friends and families suggest I got to Oregon for Assisted suicide. Even
my doctor started talking about it and that nearly shattered all my hope.
It is so sad that this is all Laura sees as an option. And this is also
why we need to work as hard as we can-all of us-to turn the tide on the
idea that euthanasia is a problem solver. It is not.
I want Laura to know that I love her even though I have never met her.
And like others who have posted I am just saddened by this. As I experienced
myself recently the idea that dying is a solution to solvable problems is
so pervasive that it is getting to be just like Nazi Germany where I live.
I am sure years back Laura would have received life-saving help and not
the words of doctors who support her death. I do not know what else to say
except that ironically I am very glad I have a pet who loves me dearly--
My kittie was one of the reasons I did not give up- and that is because
she needs me and I could not hurt her. I have now other words except that I
wish I could say to Laura that there is hope in life and then give her a hug
to show my love for her.

Suzanne said...

Please Live Laura and help to make the world a more Loving and Sane place!!!!!!!!!! God needs your help - so many kids need your help so that they don't feel the same way - so that they Feel and Know that they are Loved, Treasured and Precious! My 15 year old daughter told me recently that she felt 'not good enough' since she was in grade 1 in school. She would leave school crying feeling that she wasn't good enough... Kids need their Mom or other loving family members around them until their teens so that they get their attachment needs met. Dr. Gabor Mate and Dr. Gordon Neufeld well explain precisely what happens in schools that makes kids feel unloved/not good enough/lost and how to remedy it. It is a Terrible failure of our societies and school systems that more hasn't been done to improve things yet... But we can change things for the better now that we know how! It is possible to keep kids with their loving Mom's/Dad's/families or to make sure that kids are properly "collected" by teachers and care givers - but all the teachers first have to be taught!

Anonymous said...

Dear Laura

It is with great sadness you have decided to go down this road. To advice you or judge you would be wrong as until someone has walked in your shoes how can we know what it is like. However I wish I knew you and Could understand you and help you experience a difference journey. Life is hard and sometimes we do not know why or how it came to this stage, but we have life and for that we can make every second count until we are gone naturally in our own timely manner. I would love to help you dream of a life without pain and a life where you make a differ ece , there is already so much suffering and pain please do it choose to add to it, you can use your experiences to help,others and make a difference, maybe you needed to get to this point and have all these people like me write to you and also to highlight this medical condition. Don't die choose to live

Wishing you all the love

Raj London UK rmehay@yahoo.co.uk

mrswupple said...

This must be stopped! She's sick and not rational. Believe me I know how depression feels.

Unknown said...

This poor young woman is being treated by doctors who, in this country would be deemed unethical and unfit to look after any depressed patients, especially the young. I do hope she changes her mind and that the 'mental health' practitioners in Belgium will eventually come to there senses. Let's pray for this young woman and all those like her who are at the mercy of this evil system and a society that does not love or value their precious lives.

Unknown said...

I am bi polar I experience months of hopelessness and despair .fortunately I have a mental health team guiding and supporting me through these dark times .i see no hope or end to it but suddenly I become animated ,I respond to my treatment and see the light at the end of the tunnel and with the right medication and treatment life becomes worth it ,the distress vanishes and I then realise what I have got .life is so different now until the next time .there must be an answer to this young lady's problem.she obviously needs help. People seem to be giving up on her as she has done to herself .theres always something to try

Suzanne said...

I'm praying for this woman and all who are suicidal to feel the Love of God and Jesus that Uplifts Eternally - that never lets us down once we find it! People are very lucky when they get help in time! According to Gloria Polo, a dentist who currently lives in Columbia who was struck by lightning in 1995, who died and saw heaven and hell and was given the tremendous grace by God to come back to life and tell people about it, if those contemplating suicide saw what those souls in purgatory go through after death they would never ever do it. You can read her story: http://testimony-polo.blogspot.ca/ "If someone might doubt, or think that God does not exist, that life beyond is something from the films, or that with death all ends, do yourself a favor and read this testimony! But read it from the beginning to the end! Surely your opinion, perhaps the most skeptical, will change! We are dealing here with something that really occurred! Gloria Polo is a woman that “died”, she passed to the other world and returned precisely to give her testimony to the incredulous. God gives us many proofs, but we always deny His existence.

Gloria Polo actually lives in Colombia, she continues to exercise the same profession that she had before this event. She remained with enormous scars, but she has a normal life; this difference is that now she is a woman with great faith! She travels a lot, in order to give her testimony to thousands of people, fulfilling the mission that God confided to her (she has the authorization from the part of the Church for this).

This is a transcription of one of her testimonies, given in a church in Caracas (Venezuela), May 5, 2005, and it is translated from the Spanish original version. It is authentic! IT IS NOT A FAKE!"

Padre Leone Orlando

Studies show that people who are saved from suicide by a compassionate person and get counselling, do go on to live normal lives and don't commit suicide. Praise God! There are many Good reasons why suicide is not the answer - and It's so simple to go to church and turn to God for help - but many people neglect to do it. Here are some short stories to dissuade those contemplating suicide from ever doing it and encourage a Better Way: Short stories of Purgatory -A remarkable collection of visits from the souls in Purgatory to various Saints and Mystics. “I know when you pray for me, and it is the same with all of the other souls here in Purgatory. Very few of us here get any prayers; the majority of us are totally abandoned, with no thought or prayers offered for us from those on earth” (Message from a soul in Purgatory) - Don't Do It for many reasons! http://www.mysticsofthechurch.com/.../amazing-stories... God, our Heavenly Father, and His Son, Jesus Christ, our Lord, Love you beyond measure and once you find the Divine Love of God, you'll have it eternally! The sacraments of the Catholic Church are there to help you find God and His Divine Love and remain in communion with Him!

Anonymous said...

Oh wow this is sad. I was abused for the first 18 years of my life, sustaining multiple head/brain injuries, developed depression and PTSD. After aging out of foster care I lived and slept on the streets of a city I did not know. I had no one. I attempted suicide a few times. I cut my body to shreds. I was hospitalized against my will multiple times. I turned to drugs and alcohol. I had a stroke. I got clean and sober. I turned to sex. I was raped and nearly killed. I lost all hope. I felt lost and alone, scared and confused, hurt and angry and at times I felt nothing at all.
In the 6 months I got help, I found a therapist, I discovered Mindfulness and practice it daily, I am learning CBT. I journal so I can learn from my feelings and prepare for them. For the first time in my life I have hope. For the first time in my life I feel alive. I am 35 years old! and am just now learning to live. I still struggle with depression and I do sometimes feel very lost, alone and scared but I have learned to let the feelings and come and go and they do go, they might come back they do go.
I remember when I was 24, I remember when I was 34 and I never would have believed there was hope but I am now living it.

Wow this is just wow. This is so heartbreaking. This is infuriating!

Unknown said...

Emmy Grace, Your courageous story and comeback is a light to all! If Laura read this and the comments of the others on this board, hopefully she would realize depression is a phase and that euthanasia is not the answer.Thank you for sharing your moving story and may God bless you and all those who walk through the valley of depression to find hope, light and love at the other side. Peace & love, Màire